Tuesday, February 23, 2010

meet Kate Smith of Four Dots Design...

this month, meet kate smith of four dots design...kate and i studied together for 4 years at napier university, edinburgh...it was nice to catch up with someone i studied with and learnt a bit about their design views and what they've been doing since we graduated in 2002...


kate runs her own company, 'four dots design' which is an interior design company providing a full interior design service ranging from initial design ideas and discussions to the production of full interior design concepts, product specification and bespoke design items, through to full site co-ordination for deliveries and installations, including space planning, technical drawings, 3D visuals and personal shopping...

here's our wee questions and answer set...

Where did you study and what did you do next...?

I studied at Napier University in Edinburgh completing a 4 year Interior Architecture course graduating with a BDES (honours) degree, following my final project and show within my 4th Year at university I was approached by BDG McColl Architect (Edinburgh) to work as an Interior Designer within their Edinburgh office where I worked for 2 ½ years working on mainly commercial projects, I then left to progress my career at Yeoman McAllister Architects (Edinburgh) where I worked for 4 years working on mainly domestic/residential projects. Following this I then set up my own interior design company called Four Dots Design where I have been working now for nearly 1 ½ years and thoroughly enjoy...

How would you describe your style…?

I would describe my design style as modern and abstract, I like to think outside the box. However I do think my design style is also flexible to accommodate various clients design styles and requirements...


Who or what has influenced and inspired your style…?

I’m a huge fan on Mies Van der Rohe as I truly believe less is more, if you have quality pieces within a quality space the items and spaces will stand out alone and speak for themselves...

What trends in design are you loving right now...?

I have to admit I’m not a big follower of design trends, I like to review specific projects and analysis the design brief to determine which products/designs I feel are most suitable for the project...

What is the most important object in your day to day work...?

I could not be without my light box for sketching, it’s amazing...

What will be your next venture in design…?

I enjoy designing bespoke products like my snooker table and I would like to progress this area and also expanding the business in the near future with regards to products and staff...


What are you excited about in the world of design today…?

Oh this is tricky one!....I think the last thing that really excited me is the new technology in LED lighting it’s amazing what the tiniest of fittings can now achieve and are economically friendly too. Also there are some fab textured wall panels and products available at the moment which I’m also loving...

What would you have become if you hadn't become a designer...?

When I was younger I always wanted to be a hairdresser, I’ve always like making things and am a big fan of fashion so think if I hadn’t chosen interior design as a career I would have still chosen a creative career...

Which architect-designed hotel would you like to spend a weekend in...?

Any of the new Missoni hotels, I love them although I do have a bit of a thing for the Hudson Hotel in NY as it’s such a crazy mix of everything...!!!

Where is your favourite space to hang out and why…?

As sad as this sounds I think it would actually be within my home as I feel this is the one place I can truly relax which is due to being so comfortable around my own things. Also as I’m lucky enough to live in Edinburgh and there are so many great places to hang out it would be so hard to chose but I think my home wins it for me...


thanks kate for taking the time to answer my questions...it was great to catch up and see what fofrmer classmates have been up to...check out more from four dots design at the link below...

2 comments:

Laura G said...

It was great to see how an old friend from university is getting on and where her career is taking her. I wish you all the best in your business venture! Keep up the good work Richy!

custardbydesign said...

thanks Laura G...

i'm glad to see your visiting custardbydesign...

i'm looking forward to highlighting your talents and design flair at some point here...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online